Six simple lessons to help you get started
As a leader, the two questions that resonate with me as good meet and greet questions are -
How can I make your job easier ?
Who do I talk to to make that happen ?
This is a nice summary of the early days of a new role. I would add a question to your list: "What should we stop doing?"
She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. Proverbs 31:26
Things to do:
1. Release phasing data - Ancestry phases each DNA kit before working out matches. Allow the DNA customer to download the phased data. Allow the phased data to be see in the DNA sorting screen. I want to see my grandfather’s half of mum’s DNA and it frustrates me that Ancestry has this but I cannot.
2. Allow Some DNA uploads e.g. my Late father’s DNA test done at FTDNA Before Ancestry even had Autosomal testing.
3. Chromosome browser (could be optional)
4. Ancestor DNA reconstruction
5. Improve Tree functionality with time saving Features.
6. Sibling grouping of DNA (optional) to save time.
Friendly and helpful staff to talk to on the phone
I really like the on boarding framework. Will you be able to also share how you approach goal 30/60/90 days goal setting?
Nice sharing. Thanks and congratulations for your new journey.
Congratulations on your new gig, and thank you for sharing some insightful feedback
Follow your posts closely and learn a lot:)
Love this Deborah. It is really insightful. Here's wishing you best of luck at Ancestry
Congrats, Deb! I’ve been quietly following along and have been really enjoying your content. Looking forward to supporting you in this new adventure.
Love this article. I just started a new role about a month ago and wish I read this article sooner. Would you be able to share your 30-60-90 day plan with me as well?
What I hope Ancestry will introduce is:
- Use big data approach to assign segments to ancestors.
It will provide so much value once the combination of DNA and trees is used in that direction. It will help solve thee more and more of our DNA once and for all.
Congratulations on your new position. As a longtime customer who greatly values your product, I’m encouraged by your approach. I look forward to learning more about the directions you plan to take Ancestry and I’m optimistic that you’ll advance the field of family history in new and exciting ways.
This is wonderful, looking forward to the (30-60-90) template, Would love to share it with my MBA class if that is ok!
Thanks for such an insightful write up,Deb! I have followed your writings for a while and every single piece resonates really well. Would love to read more about the 30/60/90 day template. I would also love to hear your perspective on what shift in thinking does it take for someone to go from a position in middle management to leadership.
Wishing you an incredible run as the CEO of Ancestry!
Love your approach. As someone who gets pulled into companies at a point of change to help develop a cohesive narrative - I have found the answer is always in the room. And it usually comes from the quiet one! So your approach syncs with what I know to be true. Best wishes on your listening tour.